Friday, October 17, 2008

Spring in Autumn?

We bought an end of season flowering cherry in mid-summer to replace a crab apple severely affected by cedar apple rust. Since we have many more cedar trees than crab apples it was easier to eliminate two rather than a dozen trees even if one of them was the cherished tree marking the grave of our much beloved cat, Wily. We planted the cherry to replace the crab apple marking the grave. I thought our cat wouldn't mind.

Surprisingly, the tree is blooming now! I take this as a sign Wily approves of the choice.

The mild fall we've been experiencing has the plants a bit confused. Bulbs are sprouting but not flowering in our yard. But I did see some crocus blooming in someone's yard today. The Golden Chain tree is also blooming but it has done that for a couple of years now.

The cherry tree is a Prunus ‘Accolade’ a hybrid cross between P. sargentii and P. subhirtella. We bought the tree without knowing what the flowers looked like because it didn't have a picture tag but with a name like accolade, I thought we couldn't miss and I was right. It has beautiful flowers.

Of the 5 different kinds of cherries growing in our yard, Kwanzan, Yoshino, weeping Higan Cherry?, purple-leafed Kwanzan and now Accolade, I am leaning toward the Accolade as my favorite. I think the very dark green leaves make a perfect backdrop for the semi double flowers. I can hardly wait for the real Spring to see it covered with flowers.

None of the other cherries have flowers or buds.




6 Comments:

Blogger Connie said...

What a pretty blossom...in or out of season. :-)
Our weather has been a bit strange this year, as well. Just had a frost last week, so the garden is history for another year.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Connie,
Sorry to hear you had a killing frost already. We've not experienced a killing frost yet so everything remains green and blooming, even the very tender impatiens. I think the high 40's are about it for the lows so far.

I wonder if this year will be like the one 2 years ago when we had temps in the 70's and 80's well into Dec.

5:48 PM  
Blogger joey said...

Life is strange, in and out of the garden, Ki! Wishing a fellow gardener (and photographer) a lovely autumn.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Joey,
Sorry for the very late reply. I'm in Seattle not for pleasure but neccessity and only have my small and difficult to type on internet handheld device. Typing using a stylus is not my idea of fun but it gives me a very rudimentary too! for communication. Life is indeed strange but would be dull if it wasn't.

Saw a couple of interesting plants on walks to the store but couldn' id them.One was probably a Skimmia but I can't be certain. The other looked like a weed but a very pretty one indeed with a rosette of leaves and a tassel of small yellow flowers on a slender stalk.

Unfortnately I didn't bring my camera with me since I knew my time would be fully occupied. Thanks for the visit Joey. I promise to visit yuor site soon,

Ki

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kwanzan cherry is my favorite of the cherries. I love the soft pink and frilly flower. It has been unseasonably cool for us, and I noticed the summer snowflakes are already up about three inches. Strange.

Jan
Always Growing

3:19 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Hi Jan,
Kwanzan was a favorite too but it will be interesting to see the 'Accolade' in full flower. It certainly looks to be a winner and may become my favorite. So far this has been a mild autumn for us. Frost just cold enough to kill the tender annuals but some of the petunias are still going strong.

Thanks for the visit.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zone 6, New Jersey, United States

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Carnival-small Blogroll Me!

Listed on Blogwise

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Gardening  Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory